The type of food we eat can have a very big impact on our mental and physical health. Most doctors prescribe medication and therapy when someone is diagnosed with anxiety. But, you’d be surprised to know that certain foods can help you fight anxiety. Sometimes a lack of nutrition to the brain/body can cause psychological problems which can be easily cured by increasing a certain type of food in your diet. Did you know that some types of beneficial fats are actually important for a healthy functional brain? Your diet can play a very crucial role when it comes to your mental health.
Without further ado, here are a couple of foods that can help you relieve anxiety:
- Water: If you ask my grandma about what’s the best way to tackle any ailment, she’ll be like drink more water. Water is very important for your body and staying hydrated can help you lift your mood significantly. Your mind and body can work better if you have a hydrated body. Our body consists of 70% water and it is important that we keep it that way.
- Red Wine: Who knew drinking red wine could help you fight anxiety? Two glasses of red wine a day can help you fight anxiety. Though any more than that would make you an alcoholic and in turn pave way to more anxiety.
- Whole Grain Foods: If you are someone without any issues with consuming gluten, whole grain foods are the way to go to fight anxiety. Being rich in magnesium, it helps to relieve anxiety. It also contains tryptophan which helps in the release of serotonin in your brain, regulating your sleep cycle and reducing anxiety. It is also clean energy and will help you stay fit and healthy.
- Chocolate: Chocolate especially dark, can help you elevate your mood and reduce anxiety. It is known to reduce the cortisol level in your body. Cortisol is the stress inducing hormone in your body which gives way to your anxiety issues.
- Antioxidant Rich Foods: Diets rich in antioxidants are known to protect your brain from inflammation. Inflammation can cause your brain to stop producing neurotransmitters which will lead to anxiety. Vitamin C and E rich foods like citrus foods, broccoli, almonds, spinach can help you fight anxiety. Zinc found in cashews is also really good against anxiety.
- Tryptophan: Turkey is rich in tryptophan which helps the release of serotonin in your brain, regulating your sleep cycle and reducing anxiety. Tryptophan is also found in other meats, eggs and nuts, so you don’t need to wait for your yearly thanksgiving dinner to rack up on your dose of tryptophan.
- Proteins: Proteins help in the production of dopamine which is a type of neurotransmitter and will help you reduce stress and anxiety levels. It plays a calming role in your body and relieves anxiety. Protein rich foods include chicken and other game birds, tofu and soymilk.
- Seaweed: Gluten allergic beings do not worry, seaweed has the same advantages of eating whole wheat grains. Kelp and other seaweed contain high amounts of magnesium and tryptophan which will make sure that anxiety doesn’t touch you with a ten-foot pole. The increase in serotonin production in your brain will help you maintain a good sleep cycle and let you live a healthy life.
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D which help you reduce stress. A healthy diet containing salmon on a regular basis will keep your psychological health at its peak. It also helps in the reduction of brain inflammation which makes way to the production of neurotransmitters in high content.
- Turmeric: It contains curcumin which is known to reduce stress levels and inhibit anxiety disorders. It also helps to increase the blood antioxidant level which again promotes anxiety inhibition.
- Yogurt: Probiotics are known to promote a good mental health. It is known to reduce brain inflammation and help in the production of neurotransmitters in your brain. Always use yogurt that has live active cultures because they’re the most beneficial for your mental health.
Here are a few foods that you should avoid while you suffer from anxiety:
- Coffee: You must be thinking that your early morning cup of coffee without which you can’t seem to perform throughout the day doesn’t do any harm to you but in reality, coffee can be very harmful if you’re suffering from anxiety. Coffee is known to elevate your heart rate and blood pressure since it is known to stimulate your nervous system. While you suffer from anxiety coffee can make you sweat and nervous. Studies also show that having coffee in moderation can improve brain function and increase the production of neurotransmitters.
- Refined Sugar and Processed Foods: These foods can lead to heart diseases, inflammation and degradation to mental health. They’re connected to mood swings and depression. It is good if you entirely skip consuming refined sugar ad processed foods for your psychological well-being.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol has never been good for your body. It affects your liver and kidneys and guess what your brain too. It dips your blood sugar and causes dehydration in your body which can have very adverse effects on your brain. It can cause the reduction in the production of neurotransmitters in your brain which is very bad for your mental health.
All in all, your diet plays a very important role in your physical and mental health. As always water being the main component in fixing your body and yourself. Make sure you have balanced diet and eat healthy and you’ll definitely have a sound mind and body. Avoiding certain foods can helps you live a long and happy life and don’t worry you won’t miss out on anything